Sunday, April 20, 2008

Into the wild: a preamble to some grand thoughts, I'm sure

Watched Into the Wild this weekend.

First off, what an incredible story ... the fact that it was based on a real-life story showed in the shining development of the main character and the salient notations of the sister. Life is strange and wonderful.

I was deeply affected by and related strongly to this movie. A week ago I sat perched atop a cliff overlooking the Jasper-area valley and felt, I believe, the same thrill as Chris would have: an unsullied sense of personal achievement, which also serves to make the view rewarding and satisfying you couldn't find without the work of climbing.

Yet, sitting there, I found myself in the exact same paradox as Chris found himself prior to his death (no, I was not contemplating jumping ... would have done the trick from that height, though): seeing this gorgeous view and indulging the feeling it induced, but wanting so much to share what I could see. I took a picture at that moment, and some have told me that the view looks amazing. Yet, I know that there's little sensation behind that mention.

Yet, I have climbed mountains with people before and found myself feeling isolated from their perspective: I think it is truly an individual experience, standing on top of a mountain. So, why the yearning?

I can fully picture sitting atop a peak with a best friend or significant other, but imagine that, at the moment, one dynamic would take precedence: the relationship between me and the other person, or relation between me and the environment. Which would take you? Truly telling of person.

Expect thoughts on the answer soon.

No comments: